Friday, December 17, 2010

The Trench Periscope

Changing the title and purpose of this vanity blog to get a jump on my 2011 New Years resolution (daily writing). 

The title is inspired by a recent re-reading of the Robert Graves autobiography "Good Bye to All That" which has revived many of the intriguing parallels between serving in the trenches in World War and serving in the "trenches" of American public school education nearly a century later. Granted, my line of work (education) offers fewer chances of shrapnel injury, but the overall notion of victory through attrition seems to get at the very heart of what a teacher does.

Anyway, with that in mind, I decided to break the inertia and get this blog restarted under a more metaphorical title. 

More on Graves when I get his autobiography in front of me.

1 comment: