Monday, December 20, 2010

Natalis Invictus Soli

Tonight marks the winter solstice. Were I a better prepared teacher I would have a lesson prepared for it. Same with lunar eclipse.

As it stands, I think I'll just take pleasure in the fact that we are finally turning back over into longer days and shorter nights.

That's a big thing for me, being a transplanted west coast boy. If the kids had their way, I'd teach with the blinds drawn all five periods. Because I tend to go a bit mental without my daily dose of sunlight, however, I'm the one teacher in the building, it seems, who teaches with the blinds up. Indeed, one of the many minor causes of agita for me this year was a mid-September decision to put my "concept" wall to a pair of 15 foot blinds we have in Room 340. It seemed like a genius move at first, but now that the number of index cards showing key words and matching concepts has crept past the 5 foot mark, I'm forced to raise (i.e. lengthen) the blinds, thus cutting off what limited sunlight isn't already blocked by the dual air-conditioners on that side of the room.

Oh well, I still get a good share of sunlight coming in through the back windows. It's NYC sunlight, reflected off half a dozen concrete walls and steel implements with a soul-shattering view of... Jersey City, but I'll take it nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment